When the holidays roll around everyone goes in to baking mode, and I am no exception. Motivated by the giving nature of the holidays, and being provided with the opportunity to show love for friends through baked goodness. Being around people who love to eat is a blessing for those of us who love to cook and bake. This year I came up with a couple ideas, and I want to share one of them with you. These cookies are very easy to make, only taking an hour from start to finish, and have been very well received.
Chocolate Schmeared Pomegranate Shortbread
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 3/4 cup butter
- a generous pour of concentrated pomegranate extract (juice will not work, unless you cook it down in to a syrup)
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tbs macadamia nut oil (I use Olivado brand)
- Sift together your dry ingredients, and add the butter and blend until the dough is smooth.
- Add the pomegranate and mix through.
- Form the dough in to 1 inch balls, place on a baking sheet about 1 1/2 inch apart.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes, or until the edges start to brown.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, or in a microwave, adding the macadamia oil at the end and stirring until smooth.
- Schmear/spoon/drizzle the chocolate on the cookies.
- Chill until the chocolate hardens.