Canada Day weekend.
Rinse, and repeat.
Drunken BBQ’d French Toast
- 1 Loaf Challah - I only use Harbord Bakery challahs, and I rip it by hand after leaving it on the counter for the day.
- 8 fresh eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- Here is where you can get creative, I add a bunch of booze (never really measure, but maybe a half cup or so) and have used cognac, brandy, rum, different liquors, whatever I have around.
- 2 tbs sugar/honey/syrup
- 1 tbs vanilla (easy to make your own, FYI. Busy some beans and add vodka, let sit for 4+ weeks and its ready to use. Keep adding vodka as it depletes. Use cheap vodka)
- Cinnamon/Nutmeg/Pinch of salt
- A generous scoop of Camino chocolate powder
- Some chocolate to grate into the mix
Butter large ramekins, fill with challah, whisk ingredients until blended but not foamy, pour into ramekins.
Let sit for a minimum of 8 hours covered in the fridge.
Heat BBQ to medium high heat (Alternately bake at 375 for about 40 minutes) for about 20-30 minutes, uncovered, until they are puffed up and a knife comes out clean.
Let rest for 5-10 minutes.
Caramelized Boozy Apples
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 apples (make the skin into chips by letting them sit in sugar and cinnamon, then baking for 2 hours at 200)
- 1/2 cup of rum
- Cinnamon or any spice you feel like playing with. I have a spice rub of smoky tea and chipotle that I added this time.
Cook the apples with the booze until almost “al dente”
Separately, cook the sugar and butter until it is nice and combined, almost sticky
Combine and reduce until the liquid thickens and adheres to the apples
I've also done a bananas foster boozy French Toast that was pretty spectacular. Have fun, play with your food!